NSW has recorded nine new cases of locally transmitted COVID-19 cases, eight of which are linked to the Avalon cluster.
Six out of the eight cases lived in the same household.
NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian said the other local case was being investigated and could be a “false positive”.
Chief Medical Officer Kerry Chant said the case was in Bondi but had “no known links” to the northern beaches outbreak.
She said it remains under investigation.
Ms Berejiklian also announced the restrictions across the northern beaches which had been relaxed slightly across Christmas would from tomorrow revert to the previous stay-at-home provisions.
The provisions will run from midnight tonight to midnight on December 30.
In the northern end of the alert zone, the restrictions will be modified slightly to cover five people, including children, who will be able to gather outdoors for exercise or recreation.
In the southern zone, gatherings of 10 people, including children will be allowed to gather outside.
The exceptions to the stay-at-home restrictions, as before, are for four reasons: shopping, travel for work or education, exercise and compassionate reasons.
For the whole of the Northern Beaches, Ms Berejiklian said people from outside a household will not be allowed to visit inside for the next three days.
“Our strategy is to nip this in the bud,” she said.
“We are making good inroads and we want to make sure we get on top of this in the shortest time as possible.
“We will let the community know the next couple of days what New Year’s Eve looks like.”
About 40,000 tests were recorded in the 24 hours to 8:00pm last night.
More to come.