- Two of the three had returned negative tests by Sunday morning, while the third was still pending
- Secondary close contacts are being identified, with more expected to be contacted
- Victoria says it has no current plans to close the border to Queensland
The Brisbane outbreak has grown by one person again today — the brother of a 26-year-old man from the Brisbane suburb of Stafford who tested positive on Thursday.
Queensland Health is regularly updating a list of exposure sites visited by the confirmed cases.
Acting Premier James Merlino said three people currently in Victoria had identified themselves as having visited one of the venues, “and those three individuals are now in hotel quarantine”.
The three Victorians had been travelling together in Queensland and attended a potential exposure site in Redcliffe, north of Brisbane, before returning home.
Authorities said two people had returned negative tests by Sunday morning, while a third was still pending.
While international flights into Victoria are paused until next month, five quarantine hotels remain in operation for flight crews and people who are unable to isolate at home.
Mr Foley said home quarantine was offered, “but these people had decided that in terms of how … their domestic circumstances operate, that they wanted to have the certainty of hotel quarantine”.
Victorian contact tracers are working to identify secondary close contacts of the trio.
Health Minister Martin Foley said he expected the number of contacts to grow on Sunday.
He thanked them for doing “the right thing” and urged other people who had been in Queensland to monitor the growing list of exposure sites in that state.
“There’s quite a number of those, and we would expect those potentially to change as an effect of the close contact interviews that continue to occur in Queensland,” Mr Foley said.
Victoria has designated the Brisbane and Moreton Bay areas “orange zones” under the state’s traffic light permit system, meaning anyone who arrives must receive a COVID-19 test within 72 hours and isolate until they receive a negative result.
Mr Merlino said health teams had contacted more than 21,000 people by Sunday morning, based on the permit data and flight manifests.
‘No plans’ to close the border to Qld
Following interstate outbreaks over the summer, Victoria closed its border to Greater Brisbane and New South Wales.
But Mr Foley said the current situation in Queensland gave authorities confidence that the current “orange zone” rules were appropriate for now.
“No-one’s talking of shutting borders at this stage,” Mr Foley said.
“What we’re talking about is taking a series of risk mitigation steps, based on the public health advice, if the circumstances change.”
He said Victorians and Queenslanders should “go about their normal business” but that it was important people stayed across the information and advice as it changed.
“There’s always a degree of uncertainty in the circumstances that we’re facing,” he said.
“But we know that Queenslanders are on top of this, we know that their response has been fast and targeted and effective.”