Travellers from New Zealand had been allowed to enter Queensland, NSW and Victoria without quarantine

Davies

Australia will stop quarantine-free travel for New Zealanders, after three COVID-19 cases were recorded in Auckland.

Key points:

  • People flying in from New Zealand from Monday to Wednesday will be required to quarantine for 14 days
  • Travellers from New Zealand had been allowed to enter Queensland, NSW and Victoria without quarantine
  • An outbreak of three new COVID-19 cases in Auckland has led to Australia pausing the travel arrangement

The trans-Tasman bubble was set up so people could fly from New Zealand to Australia without needing to spend 14 days in a hotel.

However, Australia’s expert medical panel made a decision late on Sunday night to change the system.

It means any New Zealanders that fly into Australia from Monday will have to spend a fortnight in hotel quarantine.

The new rule will remain in place for the next three days before the situation is reassessed.

A statement on the Department of Health website said the pause on quarantine-free travel was decided after a meeting with the Chief Health Officers of Queensland, NSW and Victoria and Australia’s Chief Medical Officer, Professor Paul Kelly.

“All people arriving on such flights originating within this three-day period will need to go into 14 days of supervised hotel quarantine,” the statement read.

“The Australian Health Protection Principal Committee will consider further updates from New Zealand tomorrow and provide advice.”

Professor Kelly had said earlier on Sunday that travel arrangements with New Zealand would not change.

Space to play or pause, M to mute, left and right arrows to seek, up and down arrows for volume.

Play Video. Duration: 1 minute 6 seconds

Jacinda Ardern says New Zealand will “go hard and early” to reintroduce restrictions following new COVID cases.

New Zealand reported three new locally acquired COVID-19 cases in Auckland on Sunday, sending the country’s largest city into a three-day lockdown.

Auckland went into alert level 3 restrictions from 11:59pm local time on Sunday, with the rest of New Zealand at alert level 2.

The new cases were a couple and their daughter in Auckland.

New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinta Ardern announced that the city’s schools would remain open for the children of parents who need to work, but otherwise students will be asked to stay at home.

Pharmacies and supermarkets will stay open, but other businesses requiring face-to-face interaction will close.

The mother from the infected family works at an airline catering company.

Space to play or pause, M to mute, left and right arrows to seek, up and down arrows for volume.

Play Video. Duration: 59 seconds

New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern announcing the country’s approval of the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine.

As a precaution, food and beverage on Air New Zealand flights will be suspended for domestic routes.

Ms Ardern, who urged Aucklanders to “stay home”, said that alert levels would be reviewed in 24 hours as her government did more testing.

Health authorities are still working to find out how the family contracted the virus and “whether COVID-19 could be out there in the community… or whether this is the start of what could be a chain of transmission.”

 310 Interactions

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Next Post

A high-production brewery believed to be more than 5,000 years old has been uncovered by a team of archaeologists in southern Egypt

A high-production brewery believed to be more than 5,000 years old has been uncovered by a team of archaeologists in southern Egypt. Key points: About […]